Everyone has a different conception of what an ideal dream marriage should look and feel like. It’s all part and parcel of the romance that surrounds this romantic day.
But! It’s true… weddings can be expensive.
As the years go by the cost of weddings continue to increase. After all, there’s a lot of things to think about: the venue and the dress for the wedding, the wedding cake, the honeymoon, dinner & entertainment, wedding photos to take and print and many more!
A lot of newlyweds spend too much money on their wedding plans and then end up with debt. That’s no way to start the process of getting married!
We’re pleased to share some of our insider tips on organizing your dream wedding on a budget with Imtazur, a Canadian wedding planner.
What is the average wedding cost?
Imtazur Rahman: Perhaps this will not be a surprise to your readers, but weddings on budgets are becoming more frequent these days and the average wedding budget getting lower and lower. Just a few years ago the typical wedding in the United States cost $34,000. In 2019, however the cost sank all the way down to $28,000 (only to go even lower in 2020, with the average wedding budget estimated at approximately $19,000.)
What’s the greatest cost for wedding planning?
Imtazur Rahman The venue is typically one of the more expensive. Most venues cost about $10,000. That’s roughly half of the budget. Perhaps a little more like $12,000-14,000 if the wedding venue offers food (including the wedding cake), tables, drinks and linens.
There are many factors that can affect the cost of the wedding ceremony. For example, it might be more expensive in certain areas or more expensive depending on the number of guests.
What other wedding costs should one be aware of?
Imtazur Rahman: Other than the venue/catering I can think of at least three that can make a dent in the finances of a newlywed’s wedding:
The Engagement Ring
- As the object that acts as the symbol of the partnership Engagement rings can be pretty costly. Prices will differ depending on your preferences in style and design, as well as the manufacturer and so on., but no matter what your preferences are, most engagement rings will cost around $5,000.
Music & Entertainment
- Outside of the ceremony itself There’s an additional consideration for the reception. Based on the kind of entertainment you want it will cost you! A live band costs about $3,000 on average, while DJs can be as low as $2,200.
Photography and Videography
- It is essential to capture the best highlights of your day in photos and videos. Professionally taking photos and videos can cost approximately $2000 for a photographer and about $1000 for a videographer.
What advice would you offer to couples who are trying to organize an event without spending much money?
Imtazur Rahman Imtazur Raman I think that the biggest challenge for brides and grooms is to establish the realistic price range. I’ve had clients come to me with budgets as small as $8,000 to $15,000 and that’s totally fine! It’s true that weddings are still possible at that price point. It’s up the couple to determine if that budget will work with their desires.
This is what I mean by saying that if you’re planning your wedding on the confines of a budget, it’s important to ensure that the price you have set is affordable for the type of wedding you envision. It is impossible to force your dream wedding to happen by imposing any restrictions. I can assure you that it’ll result in more expenses. So, my emphasis is on “realistic”.
What can grooms and brides do to ease the wedding budget strain?
Imtazur Rahman. Make concessions when it’s possible. You don’t have to give up things you need to possess. Or, at the very least it’s not a good idea. By concessions (and it could be nearly anything!) These are my definitions of concessions.
- Change your wedding date It is possible to have your wedding on a weekday instead of a Sunday or a Saturday. This can reduce your venue fees.
- It is possible to organize your wedding reception and reception in the same location! It’s costly to organize a wedding. It is cheaper if you only have one.
- Limit your guest list! Do you have any guests that you absolutely must have on your wedding day? And whom are they? Be aware of this, because the more people you invite, the higher your budget will need to be (not just to be able to be able to afford a larger venue but for other wedding amenities too.)
- Create your favors by yourself! This activity is very popular with my clients particularly considering the expensive price of wedding favors.
You could go on about how many concessions you can make to help make your dream day fit within your budget. But you’ll get the idea! Sacrifice all that aren’t necessary to make the event even more memorable.
Do you have last-minute tips for someone who is planning a wedding on a budget?
Imtazur Rahman: Do not be afraid to ask for assistance! Also, I don’t mean just your wedding planner. My family and friends also count! Invite them to join in and make it a memorable day for all. I’m sure they will be more than happy to help you on your special day.
Imtazur Rahman: I have a website that allows you to get expert assistance in planning your wedding.