Tired of that boring bland biscuit? Spice up your holiday season with this Spicy Bacon Cheddar Biscuit recipe to serve as a compliment to your meat of choice or just to have on its own.
Flour, bread 15 oz.
Flour, pastry 15 oz.
Baking Powder 4 tsp.
Baking Soda 1 tsp.
Salt, kosher 3 tsp.
Sugar, granulated 1.5 oz.
Cayenne Pepper 2 tsp.
Butter, unsalted (cubed & cold) 6.5 oz
Shortening 4 oz.
Sharp Cheddar Cheese, coarse grated 6 oz
Hickory Smoked, Thick Cut Bacon 6 slices
Buttermilk 1# 1.5 oz.
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2. Dice and par-cook the bacon. Drain the excess fat and let cool. Separate 1/4 cup and reserve.
3. Combine the bread flour**, pastry flour**, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar, and cayenne pepper.
4. Add cold, cubed butter and shortening into your dry ingredients. Using your fingertips, rub the butter and shortening into the flour until the pieces of fat are approximately pea sized. Add the cooled bacon and shredded cheddar cheese to combine.
5. Add buttermilk and mix to incorporate. Remove mixture from the bowl and gently knead to combine and create the dough. Do not over work/knead and do not let the butter melt.
6. Once the dough has formed, roll to 3 cm thickness and cut the dough using a 3 inch round cutter. Gather scrapes and cut additional biscuits. Discard the remainder. (if the dough is too soft and the fat has melted, set in refrigerator for 10-15 minutes).
7. Bake for 10 minutes, then sprinkle reserved bacon bits on top. Continue to bake until puffed and lightly golden brown, about a total 15-20 minutes. Serve. (Option: Wash the tops of the biscuits with an egg wash (egg combined with water), milk, or buttermilk.)
**NOTE: if you do not have bread and pastry flour, substitute with all purpose flour.